|Lost in the Supermarket||Gallery||Transcript|
"Lost in the Supermarket" is the fourth episode in Season 1 of Clarence.
During a trip to the supermarket, Clarence finds adventure and intrigue in the aisles.
PlotThe episode starts out as Clarence waits outside of the school for Mary to pull up in her car. When she arrives, he informs her that Jeff has invited him to come to his house after school. Mary agrees to drop Clarence off at Jeff's house, but first, she has to go grocery shopping. Clarence then speaks to her about how much he detests going to the store and finds it boring. Mary talks him into going and Clarence gives in. As they come into the supermarket, Clarence runs into an obese lady on a motorized shopping cart thinking it's a go-kart. His mom then tells him it's rude and they walk the other direction. The first item they grab are organic grapes, and while watching the cart,
Mary tells the girl that she will turn Clarence in to police. Afterwards, the girl, with a smirk on her face, laughs at him. He is then sent on a "special mission" by his mom to find some skim milk. The milk he needs appears to be in the very back on the top shelf and he has to climb up to get it. Behind the shelf he finds the supply room and plays around in it by swatting a fly swatter, slipping on a banana peel, and just looking around until he is startled by a worker. He hides on a conveyor belt which starts to move Clarence onto the meat aisle. Clarence is then picked up by an old lady thinking he is steak, pinched and kneaded, and eventually placed in her cart. He is then carried in her cart and sees Sumo. Sumo asks if the old lady is his Grandma and Clarence tells him what had happened.
Mary becomes saddened. Sorry for making his mom lose her coupons, Clarence gives her the skim milk, but without her coupons Mary has no choice but to begin putting her items back on the shelves.
- Sample Lady
- Unnamed pink shirted lady
- Tattletale Girl
- Samantha (debut)
- Unnamed warted lady
- Tinona Sumouski (Mentioned)
- This is the first time Jeff appears with a minor role.
- It is revealed that Sumo has given Josh a scar on his face, however, it isn't stated why it has been done.
- In later episodes, it appears that Josh doesn't work at Food Cousins anymore. This could be from him getting fired because Mitch caught him chasing Sumo.
- This episode's title might be a reference to a The Clash song of the same name.
- There are numerous parodies of food companies that are featured in the episode, such as "Bole" instead of "Dole" and "Puritan" instead of "Quaker".