Sumo devotes himself to the Sisyphean task of building a boat, defying the expectations of everyone in his life, including himself.
PlotThe episode begins in Mr. Reese's detention class, and Belson, Nathan, Dustin, Guyler, Percy and Sumo are there. Sumo is shown answering questions on a behavior worksheet, but he does it his style. Clarence enters the classroom to get everyone's attention, and the kids start laughing at the stuff Clarence is doing. Mr. Reese notices Clarence and starts chasing him, but Clarence escapes and Mr. Reese says that he will catch him. A little while later, Mr. Reese reads what Sumo wrote on his worksheet. Mr. Reese doesn't like Sumo's answers and tells him to redo the test with serious responses next week.
Later, Clarence, Sumo and Jeff are in Sumo's yard thinking about what they could build. Jeff suggests building a birdhouse, he asks Sumo if he has supplies to make one, but Sumo is busy thinking about a question on his worksheet. Mel Sumouski arrives and tells Sumo that the dogs have got in the trash again, so Sumo has to clean up the yard. Mel tells Clarence and Jeff that they can come back and play tomorrow. Clarence offers to help Sumo, but Sumo wants to do it alone, so Clarence and Jeff leave.
Very early the next morning, Sumo is trying to build his boat and calls Clarence and Jeff on the phone, but Clarence pretends they're having too much fun to come, and he hangs up. Suddenly, Sumo imagines Mr. Reese telling him, "Change has to start with you!". This makes Sumo even more determined to build a boat, so he looks through a pile of junk and asks his dad if he can use some of the stuff. A little while later, Sumo continues building his boat for days and days even during bad weather. One day, Clarence arrives and offers to help. Sumo tells him he only has one hammer, but Clarence thinks he can still help, so he puts a long plank in the shirt and pretends to be a robot. Sumo yells at Clarence for not helping and tells him to leave, and Clarence does so.
- Mr. Reese
- Mrs. Sumouski
- Sumo's Brothers
- Brandi Sumouski (debut)
- Mary (mentioned)
- At the end of the episode while Mr. Sumouski is reading Sumo’s report, there is a poop 💩 drawn on the chalk board behind him.
- Blue Jay shown is likely a Western Scrub Jay as blue jays don't live in Arizona.
- This is the first episode that Sumo is a main character, as well the first one that Clarence is the second main character.
- This episode marks Mrs. Sumouski's first speaking role.
- This episode reveals all of Sumo's siblings: 8 younger brothers, 2 older brothers, and one sister.
- Later in "Suspended, the ninth one is a infant.
- Mr. Reese reveals that he used to be a cop in this episode.
- This was the first episode where Sumo gets mad at Clarence.
- The background music when Clarence, Sumo, and Jeff are building their boat is similar to the 1982 song 'Safety Dance' by Men Without Hats.
- Sumo is jokingly referred to by his dad as Noah due to Sumo wanting to build a boat and Noah (from the bible) built a boat too to save the animals and his family from the flood.
- Sumo building a boat is similar to the fourth book in The Giver Quartet, in which Gabe builds a boat out of planks to find his mother. It is also similar in that both boats end up sinking eventually.
- While the boys in the detention class laugh at Mr. Reese, Nathan's skin color is the same as Sumo.